[p2p-hackers] P2P vs traditional client-server model

Tien Tuan Anh Dinh T.T.Dinh at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 11:42:33 EDT 2006

Alen Peacock wrote:
> Censorship, privacy leaks, information control (which increasingly
> equals economic control), etc., are all "features" of centrally
> controlled systems that can be removed with good decentralization.

You can see some examples of google's problem with censorship (in China
for example), information control (Gmail is a great example, where it
scans your emails and display ads). However, i've never heard of any
privacy leaks with google. (Most) users would be more concern with that
privacy leaks rather than the other two.

> For me, decentralization's true power comes more from the disruption
> of this type of social and economic corruption than from some subset
> of technology architectures.

I agree with you in this point. However, it still need a lot of research
to fullfil that dream. For the time being, more and more P2P
file-sharing network got shutdown everyday, no one can believe that power.

Anh