[p2p-hackers] Cross-platform development

Lemon Obrien lemonobrien at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 15:44:27 EDT 2006

i wrote a c++ library emulating java, then the p2p architecture, framework above that...
  this is the middle...on top, for the user interface...i used wtl/html...so its portable mac and linux becuase both have good html rendering libraries.

  so, the secret to making a cross platofrm app with c/c++; is to abstract the IO/Threads/Time, and clearly seperate the ui layer...

  they're are many c/c++ libraries used in cross-platform development; boost, qt, etc...
  i wrote my own because i also wanted to port my stuf to java for phones...and translating the code is easy; in fact, some of my backend code is java written from the c++ code using my "j--" library...they look and act the same.

  i don't want to get into the good/bad points of different ways to do it; but if you do use java, or php, or something else...well...you're making it just that much harder for users to adopt your app. Barrier to Entry is a very big deal...and this is why java is realy just a corporate tool; though, LimeWire did a good job; but they had to write some c-code as dll and wrap them with java...so you'll really need to know java if you do that...or any other emualted language for that matter.

anyway...
  good luck
Ian Clarke <ian at locut.us> wrote:
    Freenet is written in Java, which of course has the advantages of being cross-platform, and high-level enough to facilitate reasonably rapid development (at least relative to C or C++).  Of course, we have had issues, and making Freenet easy to deploy has been an ongoing battle.  Its possible, LimeWire does a good job, but that kind of polish can be difficult to achieve in a free software project and requires significant effort.

  My recommendation is that if this is for a mainstream app where barrier to entry must be minimized at all costs (eg. if you were trying to build the next Skype), then go with C++ and figure out a reasonable way to ease porting to other platforms (perhaps wxwidgets, I'm not that familiar with it), but otherwise Java is a reasonably good choice.

  Ian.