[p2p-hackers] Cross-platform development

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Oct 26 16:58:14 EDT 2006

Le jeudi 26 octobre 2006 à 12:28 -0700, Alex Pankratov a écrit :
> But average Linux/Windows coder with a good understanding of language
> standards (assuming C/C++) should be able to produce non-UI abstraction
> layer *much* faster than it would take him to learn something like ACE.

Wow, it's a joke right?

I can't help thinking how tedious it must be to workaround all the
various subtleties of each platform's network stack, API, threading
semantics etc. There is a reason why people decided to write ACE,
Twisted, apr... in the first place.

Not to mention that software like ACE or Twisted has been in use and
actively maintained for years, and chances are they make the right
decisions in a lot of places. Not because their designers are genious,
but because they have actually been tested and fixed to work correctly
in a *lot* of situations.

What are the odds that an "average Linux/Windows coder" would be able to
come up with the right decisions at the first attempt to code an network
abstraction library? At what cost?
Perhaps "average coder" has a special meaning in your mouth, because I
can't imagine how your claim can be realistic.

Oh and by saying "Linux/Windows", you already leave out the BSDs, MacOS
X, and various other OS flavours (embedded stuff, etc.).

> Project leader who pushed for using ACE had no better option
> than to suggest purchasing paid support from ACE people.

And how is that a problem exactly? Does your in-house "average coder"
work for free?

If the same bug had occurred with an in-house developed library, who
could you have paid to solve the problem?
Answer: nobody, because nobody outside knows your library, and the guy
who coded is an "average coder" by your own words, so he would have a
very hard time debugging bizarre, erratic threading issues.

The very fact that you could find someone to fix that - probably
specific or exotic - problem is highly positive.

regards

Antoine.