[p2p-hackers] Cross-platform development

Lemon Obrien lemonobrien at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 18:40:12 EDT 2006

>> heavy philosophical baggage

  yeah, i agree too...its why i rolled my own; well two reasons...1) i'd done it before in the days of yore when everyone did it; and 2) i like the simplicity of java, the way the classes interacted, i just hated everything else about it (no not really); but, p2p systems are complex...it won't be single threaded by a long shot...and my main goal was to keep it simple, readable, and portable...accross platforms and langauges...and least the two most popular...c/c++ and java.

  and yeah i know c isn't c++; but you can emulate c++ using C :)
  '
  what we really need is a whole new way of making software for systems like this; p2p; with all kinds of crap going on at the same time.

  anyway.

David Barrett <dbarrett at quinthar.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                The problem I had with C/C++ portability libraries (ACE, QT, APR, Boost) was they came with heavy philosophical baggage.  Each had its own crazy approach to threads, memory, event handling, architecture, and so on.  I wanted something cross-platform more along the lines of OpenGL and the C runtime (platform independence without design religion), except for sockets, threads, files, etc.

  -david