[p2p-hackers] Pushing BitTorrent Locality to the Limit

Stevens Le Blond Stevens.Le_blond at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Dec 4 09:22:00 EST 2008

Hello,

We are glad to advertise our new paper called "Pushing BitTorrent
Locality to the Limit." In this paper, we run controlled torrents with
up to 10,000 peers to evaluate the impact of locality on inter-ISP
links traffic and peers download completion time (See abstract below).

Stevens Le Blond, Arnaud Legout, Walid Dabbous.
"Pushing BitTorrent Locality to the Limit".
Technical Report (inria-00343822, version 1 - 2 December 2008), INRIA,
Sophia Antipolis, December 2008.
http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00343822/en/

Comments are welcomed.

Best regards,
Stevens Le Blond

Peer-to-peer locality has recently raised a lot of interest in the
community. Indeed, whereas peer-to-peer content distribution enables
financial saving for the content providers who do not have to maintain
a dedicated infrastructure, it dramatically increases the traffic on
inter-ISP links.

To solve this issue, the idea to keep a fraction of the peer-to-peer
traffic local to each ISP was introduced a few years ago. Since then,
peer-to-peer solutions exploiting locality have been
introduced. However, several fundamental issues on locality still need
to be explored. For instance, how far can we push locality for a
peer-to-peer distribution without impacting its robustness?

In this paper, we perform extensive experiments on a controlled
environment with up to 10,000 peers to evaluate the impact of locality
on inter-ISP links traffic and peers download completion time. In
particular, we show that high locality values enable up to two orders
of magnitude saving on inter-ISP links without any significant impact
on peers download completion time.