[p2p-hackers] Streaming A / V / Text Encryption Methods

Will Morton macavity at well.com
Sun Jan 11 06:28:58 EST 2009

2009/1/10 dennis menace <e.kabarie at gmail.com>:
> Hi All!
>
> I am looking for real-time encryption methods/protocols for streaming A / V
> / Text data. I plan to build an app similar to Skype and since Skype doesn't
> really reveal much about its security architecture, I'm looking for
> ingenious solutions. Any suggestions/help would be welcome.

Hi Dennis;

Sounds like an interesting project.  As someone also working at a p2p
streaming / crypto combination, I would echo Ian G that the p2p
network design bit is much harder than the crypto bit (assuming you
are using other folks' crypto code), and I would work that out first.
Also of note is that you need to do a low-latency audio bit (which
thankfully I don't), and I would say that's likely to be harder than
either of the other bits.

That said, of the crypto options you gave, I would pick udp over dtls.
 Udp is better than tcp for latency, and your additional latency for
the crypto will be low, provided nodes have enough cpu power.  I find
ipsec to be extremely fiddly, and ssh would be much too heavy and
slow.

Dtls doesn't have very good documentation, but there are quite a few
example programs out there of people using it, and I'd be happy to
send you some example code.  But as Ian says, build the streaming
network first; if you do it using udp then you can drop dtls over it
later on without too much trouble.

Good luck, HTH