[p2p-hackers] Is Chord So Poor?

Wang Danqi beyondwdq at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 02:11:08 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I have implemented both Chord and Kademlia in my simulator according to the
Chord paper in Sigcomm'01 and Kademlia paper in IPTPS'02 respectively. I ran
a simulation with 1000 nodes and 1000 keys. The user arrival pattern follows
a Poisson distribution and the lifespan is exponentially distributed. 1000
queries are generated for each key after every node gets online. However, I
found the results from the two designs are significantly different. Chord
performs much worse than Kademlia in terms of the fraction of successful
queries, and it highly relies on the routing table refresh interval. Do you
have any experience like this? I doubt whether Chord is so poor or I made
some mistake in implementation.

Thank you so much for your help.

--
Best wishes,