[p2p-hackers] peer 2 peer versus ipv6 multicast

Tony Arcieri tony at medioh.com
Wed Feb 24 16:12:25 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Marc Manthey <marc at let.de> wrote:

> So RTMFP is just an excuse in case Multicast will not happen , like
> tunneling ipv6 over ipv4 ?
>
> Ray Miller has a different opinion:
>
>  >  Multicast Ready for Comeback
>

> http://www.cable360.net/ct/news/ctreports/commentary/Multicast-Ready-for-Comeback_38866.html

That article is terrible!  He's colluding the success of multicast in closed
environments with the idea that it will one day successfully function on the
commodity internet.

IPv4 multicasting has been used successfully in IPTV systems for years, on
closed networks.  The case study he cites is nothing new at all.  And none
of that speaks to how the commodity Internet routing infrastructure could
ever handle IP multicasting, IPv4 or IPv6 aside.

I'll eat my hat if we see IP multicasting on the commodity Internet in the
next 20 years.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand