[p2p-hackers] p2p video streaming dying ?

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Sat Feb 19 17:32:38 EST 2011

Is p2p video stream doing quite well?

I remember there were a few options back in the day (PPLive?, Octoshape?
  I can't remember the names).  And I know that Akamai is quietly doing
a *lot* of P2P video streaming.  And I keep hearing rumors of
progressive download/playback Torrent clients (I know we did this at
Swoosh with rather disappointing results).

Adam - I don't think Littleshoot does live streaming, but does it do
progressive download and playback of audio/video?

So the technology is definitely available and has been for some time.
But I sorta agree with Abhishek that it hasn't really taken off.  Like,
even the torrent apps that do support it only do so as a rather hidden
or experimental feature.  Why hasn't it become the default mode?

-david